With the digital wave in India, streamlining the key processes to keep pace with the new era of digitization is of core importance to SME’s. To achieve this, it’s important to automate business processes. The need for a central repository arises, which can integrate all operations within an organization, to streamline & systematize the processes. A robust, easy to use & mobile Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution can meet the demand efficiently & successfully.
An ERP solution has traversed a long way from being a simple business management software, till becoming an integral part of a business, driving its overall growth, facilitating analytics & streamlining business processes.
For many businesses, handling the complexities of managing multiple activities, across geographies becomes crucial. An efficient ERP solution, helps in systemic design for consistent delivery of better insights, for the business, making it easy to monitor from different regions. It also simplifies & accelerates the business process, providing a competitive edge to the organization.
Hence, implementing an ERP solution for running a business efficiently & effectively, in this era of fast paced market developments becomes critical. With proper planning & execution, an ERP implementation, can be a smooth process & quickly improve the efficiency across your business.
Although, technology & application are important factors, but there are other aspects that can contribute to a successful ERP implementation and make it sustainable.
Let’s take a quick look, at few general aspects for a successful ERP implementation:
- Customers: It is easy to map the customer’s process with the ERP solution & demonstrate the product capability. But analyzing customer’s requirement & then mapping every operations with the ERP solution is not that easy. It is essential to understand the users’ goals to deliver the solution. The implementers need to customize the training delivery, to address these needs, which are not explicitly expressed by the customers. The User Acceptance Test as a process, can bridge the gap between, the customer’s requirement & solution offered, if the implementers are clear on the users & organization goals.
Throughout the implementation, the user’s benefit should be monitored.
- Are the lead times, coming down to service more internal or external transactions?
- Is the application helping the users achieve the goal in their area?
This helps in reviewing the transaction flow, alerts & provide report to eliminate post implementation risks. This could mean, doing a time motion study to understand how long a user takes to complete a transaction & the possible ways that can reduce time consumption. The implementation process, also produces enough opportunity to improve the application & continuously simplify processes.
- Implementation bandwidth: Every organization aims at going live, in the shortest possible time & expectations are set in accordance with the project plan. The stakeholders get visibility of the planned activities. The success of the project depends on, how well the stakeholders & implementers, collaborate & focus on the critical activities.
The risks can be eliminated, when the customer & implementer team acknowledge any failures & work proactively towards taking corrective action. The teams can motivate each other by celebrating completion of milestones together.
It is also essential to keep the core team at the client’s end, focused on the critical activities to support the business operations. There is a high chance of fatigue in lengthy implementation processes. To make such processes successful, the implementers can enroll more users from the customer’s team, who could play an active role in supporting their peers & provide useful inputs. This will in a way, accelerate the implementation process too.
- Cost of implementation: While the cost of activities & the resources deployed can be tracked with the progress of the project, the opportunity cost is rarely measured. The opportunity cost can be calculated, by the way of deploying the funds for the project, of some other venture within the organization, with a better expected ROI (Return on investment). It becomes critical for the implementer & the customer team to demonstrate results with better ROI.
- Quality of implementation: “Do it right the first time”, is a very simple statement to make. However, this can be practiced by a framework that supports continuous learning for the stakeholders. The journey starts from the requirement gathering, to the go live stage. There can be an improvement in impact on the user manual, minutes of meetings, project reviews, change requests & other project communications. The stakeholders can constantly measure the quality, by assessing, whether the solution is user friendly or not.
The above points are very critical & should be considered, along with different phases of ERP implementation viz. discovery & planning, designing, development, testing, deployment, & post implementation support, which will help in boosting the implementation process, making it an enduring practice.
EPPS ERP solution understands the importance of the general aspects like customer centricity, time, cost & quality, for a successful ERP implementation. EPPS’ robust, easy to use, scalable & mobile ERP solution, will help you to identify & work on other parameters that is needed for proper functioning of an ERP solution & elevate your business operations to a new level. Click here to know more about efficient & sustainable ERP solutions, by EPPS.