The implementation of GST on July 1st has made it critical for companies to deploy an ERP system. While the benefits of an efficient ERP system go way beyond regulatory compliance, to helping improve the overall business efficiency of any organization. There is a cautionary tale as well. That of improper ERP implementation. Studies have shown that as much 30 percent of all ERP implementation fail to reach their stated goals.
This can be frightening, especially for an SMB. As a failed ERP implementation could take down the business with it. One of the primary reasons for ERP implementation failures boils down to its adaptation within the organization. If the employees, using the solution on a daily basis find it difficult to adapt or in fact use, they will continue to be comfortable with the old and trusted systems. Thereby causing the ERP implementation to fail.
The best way, to ensure easy adaptation of an ERP solution across the organisation, is to go for a solution that is both easy to train and easy to use. An easy to use ERP solution has several benefits:
- Reduce training time and cost: If the ERP functionality is intuitive, employees will adapt to it faster, saving on training time and costs. The faster employees transition to an ERP system the quicker you will realize the benefits on an ERP solution.
- Increased adoption rates: Most surveys point to employee resistance as one of the main reasons for ERP implementation failures. Employees generally do not shift to a system that increases complexity, when compared to their old software. However, a simplified user-interface that is intuitive to use and easy to understand greatly enhances user adoption rates.
- Ensure expected ERP benefits: The more employees you can get to “buy-into” the ERP initiative—by making it easy for them to enter the data, in the right fields, at the right time—your new system will remove redundancies, streamline processes, and improve productivity. That’s when you start seeing the benefits of an ERP system.
How to Identify Easy-to-Use ERP
While most vendors would claim their solutions are easy to use, there is a simple way for you to identify the same. Test the solution for:
- Familiar user interface: The ERP solutions should look and feel familiar to your end-users. For example most users are familiar with MS Office applications like Outlook, Word and Excel. If your employees use any of these applications, check to see if the ERP interface offers similar functionality. Even if the functionality is different, check to see if users need to learn a significant number of new commands and processes to execute every day functions. Bottom line, the ERP solution should make it easier for your employees to continue their day to day operations.
- Role-based functionality: Check if the solution you are opting for can be tailored to specific roles of your employees. For examples: finance, sales, marketing and HR should be provided specific functionalities that help them perform their tasks better.
- Analytics: Will the system facilitate you, in analysis and generation of different type of reports? Is the system capable of generating automated reminders for overdue payments or shipments? These are essential to making the ERP system the backbone of your enterprise.
There is little doubt that the right kind of ERP system can boost business efficiency. However, choosing the right one is key to how successful you are with your ERP implementation. Click here to book a FREE demo of our innovative & easy to use ERP solutions.